Virtual tour of Newgate Prison. Panorama of Newgate Prison. Maps, travel, photos, videos.

 [+]
Description  show/hide  panorama  link

Newgate Prison

Old Bailey, City of London, EC4M 7, UK
:For the prison in East Granby, Connecticut, see Old Newgate Prison. .]] Newgate Prison was a prison in London, at the corner of Newgate Street and Old Bailey just inside the City of London. It was originally located at the site of a gate in the Roman London Wall. The gate/prison was rebuilt in the 12th century, and demolished in 1777. The prison was extended and rebuilt many times, and remained in use for over 700 years, from 1188 to 1902.The first prison at Newgate was built in 1188 on the orders of Henry II. It was significantly enlarged in 1236, and the executors of Lord Mayor Richard Whittington were granted a license to renovate the prison in 1422. The prison was destroyed in the Great Fire of London in 1666, and was rebuilt in 1672, extending into new buildings on the south side of the street. According to medieval statute, the prison was to be managed by two annually elected Sheriffs, who in turn would sublet the administration of the prison to private "gaolers," or "Keepers," for a price. These Keepers in turn were permitted to exact payment directly from the inmates, making the position one of the most profitable in London. Inevitably, the system offered incentives for the Keepers to exhibit cruelty to the prisoners, charging them for everything from entering the gaol to having their chains both put on and taken off. Among the most notorious Keepers in the Middle Ages were the 14th-century gaolers Edmund Lorimer, who was famous for charging inmates four times the legal limit for the removal of irons, and Hugh De Croydon, who was eventually convicted of blackmailing prisoners in his care.Over the centuries, Newgate was used for a number of purposes including imprisoning people awaiting execution, although it was not always secure: burglar Jack Sheppard escaped from the prison three times before he went to the gallows at Tyburn in 1724. Prison chaplain Paul Lorrain achieved some fame in the early 18th century for his sometimes dubious publication of Confessions of the condemned. The old prison was demolished and replaced by a new building designed by George Dance the Younger between 1770 and 1777. He also designed the adjacent court-house. The new prison was attacked by rioting mobs during the Gordon Riots in 1780: the prison was set on fire, many prisoners died during the blaze and approximately 300 escaped to temporary freedom. The prison was rebuilt two years later , to an architecture terrible design intended to discourage law-breaking. The building was laid out around a central courtyard, and was divided into two sections: a 'Common' area for poor prisoners and a 'State area' for those able to afford more comfortable accommodation. Each section was further sub-divided to accommodate felons and debtors.In 1783, the site of London's gallows was moved from Tyburn to Newgate. Public executions outside the prison – by this time, London's main prison – continued to draw large crowds. It was also possible to visit the prison by obtaining a permit from the Lord Mayor of the City of London or a sheriff. The condemned were kept in narrow sombre cells separated from Newgate Street by a thick wall and receiving only a dim light from the inner courtyard. The gallows were constructed outside a window in Newgate Street.During the early 19th century, the prison also attracted the attention of the social reformer Elizabeth Fry. She was particularly concerned at the conditions in which female prisoners were held. After she presented evidence to the House of Commons, improvements were made. In 1858, the interior was rebuilt with individual cells.From 1868, public executions were discontinued and executions were carried out on a gallows inside Newgate. Michael Barrett was the last man to be hanged in public outside Newgate Prison on 26 May 1868.The prison closed in 1902, and was demolished in 1904. The Central Criminal Court now stands upon its site.The original door from a prison cell used to house St. Oliver Plunkett in 1681 survives today and is on display at St. Peter's Church in Drogheda, Ireland. The original iron gate leading to the gallows was used for decades in an alleyway in Buffalo, New York and is currently housed in that city at Canisius College.   ... (English)
Found: 3383 (1-7) by Panoramio
The Tube - London
The Tube - London
Simon Davis
go place
IMG_St.Paul cathedral
IMG_St.Paul cathedral
turbica
go place
Courts of Justice on the Strand
Courts of Justice on the Strand
Neil Praught
go place
12:59 PM
12:59 PM
Tanaa
go place
Colorful London
Colorful London
faisasy
go place
88 Wood St ~ Daiwa Building ~ City of London
88 Wood St ~ Daiwa Building ~ City of London
Nick Weall
go place
Daiwa Building 1999 ~ London Wall ~ City of London
Daiwa Building 1999 ~ London Wall ~ City of London
Nick Weall
go place
Sort:
Found: 59 (1-6) by Youtube
The inflatable doll out in London
The inflatable doll out in London
Travel
Rating: 4.8390803 (87)
View: 79467

LONDON`S MOST HAUNTED CHURCH - HALLOWEEN SPECIAL
LONDON`S MOST HAUNTED CHURCH - HALLOWEEN SPECIAL
Travel
Rating: 4.262857 (175)
View: 56776

The inflatable doll and the laptop
The inflatable doll and the laptop
Travel
Rating: 4.575 (80)
View: 37002

Bus Ride through the City of London (HD)
Bus Ride through the City of London (HD)
Travel
Rating: 4.951807 (83)
View: 26542

Fabric Nightclub London / Londen
Fabric Nightclub London / Londen
Travel
Rating: 5 (10)
View: 18345

An Evening with Archbishop Desmond Tutu
An Evening with Archbishop Desmond Tutu
Travel
Rating: 4 (4)
View: 8350

Nearby sights  show/hide  panorama
Popular
Nearby
without panorama
City Thameslink railway station (125m)
Bread Street (177m)
Paternoster Square (204m)
Paternoster Square (213m)
St Bartholomew's Hospital (235m)
Paul's walk (302m)
Diocese of London (312m)
A1 road (Great Britain) (322m)
St Paul's Cross (330m)
St Paul's Cathedral (344m)
Ely Place (474m)
St Matthew Friday Street (498m)
Inner Temple Library (599m)
The Maughan Library (602m)
Blackfriars Railway Bridge (639m)
St Giles-without-Cripplegate (639m)
Domus Conversorum (641m)
City of London School for Girls (645m)
London Charterhouse (652m)
Temple Church (653m)
Millennium Bridge (London) (657m)
Blackfriars Railway Bridge (674m)
Barbican Estate (678m)
Millennium Bridge (London) (712m)
Barbican Centre (719m)
St Mary Mounthaw (723m)
Middle Temple (746m)
The Temple (London) (751m)
Portpool (847m)
Roman London (860m)